Thursday, May 12, 2005

Johann & the super rich scroungers

Quite liked this article on tax dodgers by Uncle Johann. Here's a key extract:

"One UK accountant told the press in 2003, "No matter what legislation is in place, the accountants and lawyers will find a way around it. Rules are rules, but rules are meant to be broken." Now re-read that sentence, and imagine it was spoken by a single mum on an estate talking about incapacity benefit. What would the News of the World say then?"

I suppose the difference between a Rupert Murdoch type tax dodger and a 'benefits scrounger' is that Rupert at least provides tons of jobs and so contributes to the economy that way. There's something about people 'abusing' the welfare system by simply not working (when they are physically capable) that really sticks in the craw. (And as many of you know I have signed on in the past myself so I'm not claiming that it is inherently immoral to receive benefit.) But nonetheless I thought the article made some fair points and I commend it to you for your reading pleasure.

No comments: