Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Election endorsements

Something we should all do I think. (JP says as much here, but I think it deserves its own thread.)

While I admire many things about the Lib Dems (mostly the way they conduct themselves when compared with Tory opportunism), I am endorsing Labour. There are bits of Tory policy that I like but (ironically) for me it's a trust issue. I don't get a sense of vision from the Conservatives. And while Labour are from without fault, I trust their vision of the country more. I would like to see a Labour government returned and with the Lib Dems strengthened in Opposition.

So I'm overall I'm saying Vote Labour (though a Lib Dem vote where they have a chance of winning would be OK by me too.)

I'm in a very safe Labour seat and have been tempted to vote Lib Dem to increase their overall number of votes, but I think on balance I will vote Labour. (Even though I don't really like my MP. But at least I've seen him campaigning. The only other ones have been Respect who I gave short shrift. I suppose I could vote Green but I would once in a while like to vote for one of the parties that will actually govern.)

5 comments:

dan said...

I agree with you, sir. The Lib Dems local income tax policy was one of the things that cost them my vote. The US has local taxes AND property taxes. maybe that's something they should look into.

dan said...

Another endorsement for Blair, this time from Ali, a Baghdad-based blogger (but not THE Baghdad Blogger.)

Courtesy of Harry's Place:


http://hurryupharry.bloghouse.net/archives/2005/05/04/ali_on_blair.php

dan said...

Harry's Place is very well respected. I first encountered in a column by Nick Cohen. The only thing holding us back is... lack of readership. :)

dan said...

Dan's poll result in: admittedly this is a very limited poll. The sample rate is 1 - namely my dad. However, on that basis I'm predicting a comfortable Labour victory. My dad is very much a floating voter. SDP in '87, Major in '92, Blair ever since (including today.) He has no party loyalty whatsoever so I think he;s very much the kind of voter the opposition parties needed to convince. And while he doesn't really like anyone I think his main reason for voting Labour was 'don't rock the boat.'

dan said...

Yes, I was tickled by both tabloid covers. You are aware however, that Liverpool are Howard's professed favourite team?