Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Tories say it's time to ditch Churchill

The Guardian reports "Polly Toynbee, not Winston, should set Tory social agenda, says [conservative] adviser"

I'm sorry but ... what?! Polly Toynbee is considered too left wing by most of New Labour. What's next 'Cameron attacks Labour for not being Communist enough'?

It's a very dangerous strategy Cameron is playing here. Let's hope for the Conservatives' sake that this fellow's reaction to the "More like Polly Toynbee" suggestion isn't typical:

"I can't even feel the left side of my face. My eye is now opening and closing uncontrollably, and I fear a blood vessel is about to burst in my forehead. I look like Herbert Lom in an old Pink Panther movie. Jesus Christ, Polly Toynbee is giving me a stroke. Where's the number for NHS24? Here we go... Engaged! Fuck! Help! HELP!

[...]

The thumping vein bursts; blood splatters the screen of my computer. "Effective analysis"? Please tell me you’re yanking my chain, Greg. Please tell me this is all some monstrous, intricate practical joke, that someone has hacked in to my laptop and put a spoof news story in there to cheese me off."


Read the whole post for the full enraged effect.

And for a more thoughtful response read the ever excellent Chris Dillow.

2 comments:

JP said...

This guy Dillow is a dude. He has an article that lives in both his "economics" and "cricket" categories:

Monty Panesar and Market Failure

Now *that* is cool blogging!

Andy said...

Here is a trenchant attack on Polly T from a blogger called Freebornjohn:

"One thing, and one thing only, keeps people trapped in the kind of poverty of mind where they don't feed their children properly even when they could, and shit in their own stairwells. It's a lack of ownership; a lack of self-reliance. It's a lack of the very concept of self-reliance. It's an idea that the mere thought that they should be self-reliant is immoral, evil, callous and cruel. And though this idea is gibbered out by halfwits like Norman the carpet, it actually derives from Polly Toynbee."